March 6, 2011

Nest Interiors

Ever since discovering Nest Interiors in my hometown Amarillo, I’ve been truly inspired in more ways than one.
The Nest, a knick-knack shop off 6th street, is filled with imported furniture items, fair trade metal works, green-minded gadgets and much more. Owner and Amarillo native, Kasey Robinson opened shop a few years ago after graduating with an interior design degree from the Art Institute of Dallas. Like myself, she finds a passion for “retail with a cause.”
This is one of those places where one can find endless inspiration. The store’s unique set up with the new and the old gave me a sense of comfort and tranquility. With its interesting items that make a home feel special and decorations used throughout the store, one is bound to pick up creative ideas. Not to mention, many of the fascinating items sold in the store are from local artists George Q., Krystal O’Mara and permanent artist Drew Merritt.
By the means of creativity, Kasey personally fills her shop with an assortment of handmade crafts. Her crafts are Anthropologie-like in the sense that she uses basic, everyday materials. What I admire the most is the obvious effort she puts towards her creative window and floor displays. Her most recent February window theme consisted of approximately 60 large and small, patterned paper planes that suspended across the front, giving viewers a bit of whimsical origami to look at. She sometimes takes her creative skills even further by decorating the tiny tree out front with colorful yarns and strings of all shapes and sizes.
Kasey’s concept with décor and design is a lot like my own and after falling in love with The Nest, I’ve remained a dedicated customer while following her blog religiously. Her blog, …from 6th, is a nice source of inspiration with everything from art to film to photography. It doesn’t take much scrolling before an idea or picture of hers ignites a small spark that gets my creative waves flowing. Being a graphic designs minor, it helps to have people out there that think like you do because there is nothing more helpful than to look to them for insight when your stumped on what to do next. Its almost as if we creative minds feed off of one another, tweaking each others concepts into ideas of our own.
As a dedicated customer, I’ve bought everything from a dinning table made by a local designer to woven yarn boxes to little decorative birdies the size of my hand. I absolutely love visiting the shop and find myself spending countless hours browsing, whether I buy that day or not. It’s somewhat of a problem, but you would understand if you are like myself and find endless inspiration in stores such as Nest Interiors.

2 comments:

  1. It's great your love for photography is so captivating, yet inspirational. I admire this. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like the nest is a cool place, it seems like you!

    ReplyDelete